November 23, 2014

Sunday Blessings

Nothing bad can ever come from a Sabbath well-spent in church. Nothing, I swear. We needed today because life has just been extra hard and extra frustrating lately. Basketball is ever-so-frustrating - it consumes each moment of our lives, schoolwork, work, and marriage. I remember reading a sign once in one of Race's relatives homes that read, "We interrupt this marriage to bring you the basketball season". I just shook my head, thinking that nothing, especially basketball, could interrupt my marriage! Well, after years of denial, I've come to accept that basketball encapsulates every moment of our life. 
Last night, we kind of hit a breaking point where so much negativity had built up about basketball (they have yet to win a real game). Race has spent his entire life eating, sleeping, and breathing basketball. Unfortunately, things at SUU aren't going as planned. We are to the point where it seems there is hardly ever anything to be positive about. Well, we were wrong. My dad texted both Race and I last night, promising us that nothing positive can ever come from being negative, and that we need to take a hard look at ourselves to see if we were both giving a 100% positivity to our situation. I was a bit angry at first, because it's so much easier said than done, to an outsider, to be positive when life is beating you down. I was upset because no one really knows what's going on and how we feel except for us, so I was sick of everyone telling me that they understood. Being positive and optimistic in our trials is really one of the most difficult adversities that I've ever faced. So I told my dad that he doesn't really understand and that he won't understand what we're going through until he's literally in our shoes. Part of me was right, but he was too. Nothing positive can come from being negative. So even if we don't like what's going on in basketball, it doesn't mean that we can change anything but our disposition and attitude. 
Back to why church freakin' rocks: When they were passing the sacrament, I was reading in Hebrews 13, and verses five and six really struck me: 

5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

I just realized that my dad was right, and that if we turned our negativity to positivity, even when adversities come our way, that the Lord will not forsake us. That everything will turn out how it's supposed to. That college basketball is just a game, and that life has so much more to offer. That life is so so good. All that matters is that Race and I love each other, and so does the Lord, and everything will be alright, even if things aren't what we anticipated right now. 

Everything will be okay!

Carly 

No comments:

Post a Comment